Laser Hair Removal
The LightSheer™ diode laser system is considered the industry gold standard in achieving permanent hair reduction. It was developed by Lumenis™, the same company that pioneered Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology. An innovative cooling device on the end of the laser wand soothes the skin after each pulse of light, ensuring that the treatment is nearly pain free.
Benefits of the LightSheer Diode Laser System
Created as a premier tool for the removal of hair, the LightSheer diode laser system features the ideal wavelength and light pulse for this purpose. The near-infrared laser light is readily absorbed by the pigment of the targeted hair follicles and each rapid pulse damages the follicle without harming the surrounding tissue.
The LightSheer laser also features a patented cooling system that helps protect the skin and makes patients more comfortable during the treatment. As the laser energy is delivered, the device automatically cools the skin at the site. It provides a consistent, active removal of heat around the epidermis before, during and after the application of the laser light.
Good Candidates for Treatment with the LightSheer Diode Laser System
The LightSheer laser system has received FDA clearance for use on patients seeking hair removal and permanent hair reduction. It is safe and appropriate for a wide range of skin colors.
The LightSheer Diode Laser System Procedure
By targeting hundreds of hair follicles at once, the LightSheer laser procedure is completed quickly. Due to the cooling system, patients experience little or no discomfort, but some do report a mild tingling or stinging at the site. The number of treatment sessions varies depending on several factors, but the majority of patients require between six and ten sessions, which are generally spaced six to seven weeks apart.
Recovery from a LightSheer Diode Laser Treatment
Treatment with the LightSheer diode laser system is non-invasive and requires little to no downtime afterward. Some patients develop a mild redness at the treatment site that may be similar to a sunburn but this will typically resolve within a few hours.
A noticeable difference can usually be seen in the treatment area immediately following the procedure, and the results often steadily improve as more hair falls out over a period of several weeks. By disabling the hair follicles in the treatment area, the LightSheer system is effective in producing long-term results.
Pre & Post Treatment Instructions
- Prior to Treatment
- Do not tweeze, wax, use a depilatory or undergo electrolysis in the areas you wish to have treated for 4 weeks prior to laser hair removal.
- Do not tan the areas to be treated for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid using self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Shave prior to treatment
- Discontinue Retin-A/Retinoids (including Dr. Moats Cream and Firm & Fade) 5 days prior to treatment.
- After Treatment
- Some redness and swelling in the area is normal after treatment and may feel similar to a sunburn. This should resolve within several hours to several days after treatment.
- Avoid irritants (glycolics, retinoids, etc.) for seven days after treatment.
- Apply sunblock daily
- Avoid exercising for 24 hours